Quarantined citizens in Barra do Kwanza moved to Calumbo

Luanda – At least seven citizens who are under 14-day quarantine period, in the center of Barra do Kwanza, in Luanda, will be transferred this Wednesday to the center of Calumbo, announced today, the State secretary for Public Health, Franco Mufinda.

The government official, who was speaking at a press conference, within the scope of the Coronavirus Contingency Plan of the Inter-ministerial Commission of Angola, justified that this measure aims to empty and prepare the Barra do Kwanza center, to dedicate itself exclusively to attendance of possible cases of Covid-19 in the country.

He stressed that the Calumbo center, with a capacity for 250 beds, against 100 in Barra do Kwanza, will continue to manage quarantine cases.

He said that so far at least 120 citizens, mostly Chinese residents, are still quarantined in the two centers in Luanda.

According to the Secretary of State, the quarantine is aimed only at Angolan and foreign citizens residing in Angola from China, Iran, South Korea and Italy, countries with the highest rate of infections (community transmission).

He recalled that all citizens in quarantine are subjected to a test, before receiving the respective discharge.

In addition to the two quarantine establishments, the Angolan Government foresees the opening of the third specific center to deal with eventual cases of oil companies in the country.

Restriction measures

On the occasion, the source reaffirmed that, within the scope of the restriction measures, Angola maintains the ban on the entry of non-resident foreign citizens, coming from the four countries that register the circulation of the virus in the communities (community transmission).

Meanwhile, he said, citizens from other countries with a lower transmission rate (local transmission) will continue to enter Angola, without being subjected to the quarantine period, assuming a relative risk of contagion.

Source: Angola Press News Agency