Search
Close this search box.

Angola Records 10% Decline in Crime

Luanda: Crime in Angola fell by 10.1% during the first half of this year, with a notable decline in offences involving firearms, National Police Commander-General Commissioner Francisco Ribas da Silva said in Luanda on Wednesday. Speaking to the press on the sidelines of a meeting of the National Security Council chaired by President Joo Louren§o, the official said the country's public security situation remained stable, with conditions in place for the free movement of people and goods.

According to Angola Press News Agency, Francisco Ribas indicated a decline in virtually all categories of crime, as a result of preventive and enforcement measures carried out by the police. Among the main indicators, he highlighted a 16.5% reduction in crimes committed with firearms, a 5% decline in violent crime, a 17% decrease in sexual violence cases, a 13.7% fall in robberies, a 2.5% reduction in homicides, and a 0.9% decline in domestic violence.

To achieve these results, the National Police conducted between 7,000 and 8,000 search and patrol operations in different parts of the country, strengthening crime prevention and enforcement activities. The commander-general nevertheless acknowledged the need for continued engagement with communities, social partners, and businesspeople, particularly in areas considered more sensitive, in order to consolidate security levels and strengthen public confidence.

Francisco Ribas also highlighted a decline in crimes linked to the illegal exploitation of strategic minerals and illicit mining, particularly in areas previously considered critical, such as Cafunfo, which, according to the official, are now under greater control by the authorities. Regarding illegal immigration, the commander-general said the implementation of an operational plan had resulted in the repatriation of around 53,000 foreign nationals in an irregular immigration status. He added that some of these nationals were involved in illicit activities, including illegal mining, illegal diamond extraction and the trade in scrap metal.

Asked about the incidents reported in U­ge Province on 8 August, Francisco Ribas said the matter had not been included on the agenda of the National Security Council meeting. The commander-general nevertheless explained that the National Police intervention had been aimed at restoring public order and ensuring the normal functioning of institutions. 'The Police exist to ensure public order, public security, stability and the normal functioning of institutions,' he said.

The incidents occurred during a political event organised by UNITA to mark the 92nd anniversary of the birth of its founder, Jonas Savimbi. UNITA said the Police had prevented the event from taking place and used tear gas and other crowd-control measures, resulting, according to the party, in injuries and material damage. The National Police justified the intervention on the grounds that the organisers had failed to comply with an instruction to change the venue, as the site was located near the U­ge District Court and was considered unsuitable for the gathering. The force said it had used non-lethal means and proportionate force to disperse the participants.

Recent Posts